Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Excusitis: Do You Have It?

Recently I've begun re-reading a great personal development book entitled, " The Magic of Thinking Big" by the AMAZING author David J. Schwartz, Ph.D (link at the bottom).  This book completely changed my mindset from a driven, yet cynical 32 year old, to a younger and eager-minded optimist.  Answer this simple question: Do You Have Excusitis?  What is it? How do you know you've been infected by it?



Excusitis has been defined by UrbanDictionary.com (2009) as "tendency/Disease/Regular [behavior] of making excuses for every poor performance. In simpler words, giving excuses for everything and trying to back their faults".

So, are you one of those people who looks at a successful and positive person as lucky?  Do you think they fell into success or that they worked hard?  Do you compare yourself to others who are in higher ranking jobs and think that you just didn't catch a break like they did, and if you had only <insert excuse here> then you would be on their level? Do you find yourself saying things like, "I don't have the knowledge", "I didn't go to college", "I am too inexperienced", "I'm too busy", "I'm too old" etc.... ?  If you use the "I'm too", or "I don't" phrase a LOT, then chances are, you've been infected.

Reality struck me hard in the gut when I read just 2 chapters of this book.  I realized that the only reason my family was struggling with money, and the reason we were all going 100 mph every day was me.  MY inactivity, my laziness to try, my pessimistic attitude and cynical way of thinking kept us down.  I would look at opportunity and think of the thousand ways it could fail.  I called myself a realist.

The truth of the matter is, that if you stop making excuses, own up to your faults, and then realize your faults are actually the lessons you've failed to learn in life...You can finally learn to grow.  Grow from them, flip the switch on your brain.  Start thinking about the ways that you WILL SUCCEED.  Have the mindset that you are valuable. You have skills.  You have something to contribute or something to sky rocket you into amazing success!  It all starts with programming your brain to think POSITIVELY.  

I know what you are saying... Oh God, another flighty free-thinker with her head in the clouds telling me to just "be positive".  Well... what is the problem?  What are you so afraid of?  Face yourself.  Why can't you try it?  Think of something you would love to achieve or a job you want.... now before you flood yourself with doubt and all the "I don'ts" and "I'm not's", say, "I AM _______"  and "I DO ______" and begin to think of the ways you CAN achieve that goal or job or life.  Tell me your brain isn't just going 100 miles an hour imagining all of the possibilities on how you can ACHIEVE rather than fail.  

I really have begun an amazing journey toward building my own business, and there are a lot of nay-sayers around me... but I don't let them in any more.  I'm shooting for the stars and I won't stop till I reach them... and even then... who knows?!  

I really do recommend you pick up this book, and give the pages a turn.  You won't be sorry.  I want you to come back here after you've read the first 3 chapters and tell me what you think. Deal?

fb.com/PressPlayToday
twitter.com/LisaKingslayer

The Magic Of Thinking Big - Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-Thinking-David-Schwartz/dp/0671646788/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358995723&sr=8-3&keywords=the+magic+of+thinking+big+by+david+schwartz

Audible Version: http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-of-Thinking-Big/dp/B00008R3BL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358995723&sr=8-2&keywords=the+magic+of+thinking+big+by+david+schwartz

No comments:

Post a Comment