Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Unmagical Truth about Magical Weightloss Pills

Like many of you, I struggled with weight my ENTIRE life.  I always had big thighs, hips and a big ole bubble butt.  The teasing that occurred not just in school but at home was unbearable at times.  I was extremely active as a child and as a teenager but I was still "chunky" and THAT is what bothered me so much about the relentless teasing.  It wasn't like I was sitting on my butt popping cheetos and drinking soda all day.  I was in Varsity Swimming, Color Guard for Marching Band, Drama, Softball, and I had to ride my bike everywhere I went.  So, I was by no means lazy.  As an adult, my weight became an even bigger obstacle.  I started looking for potential quick fixes to my problem.  So, the purpose of this particular blog to is to show you that even when something is deemed "SAFE" by the FDA, that can always change... AND it does not mean it is effective in weight loss.

Chitosan: Remember those magic pills that when you took them 30 minutes before eating, they would "trap" your fat from your meal into globules and virtually eliminate the fat from everything you ate?
CLAIM You can eat ANYTHING you want, as much as you want, as long as you take this pill.
REALITY:  Chitosan has NOT been proven effective at trapping fat INSIDE the stomach, and keeping it from absorbing into the body via the intestines.  In fact according to WebMD, Livestrong, and Columbia University, the only effectiveness shown with Chitosan was when a calorie restricted diet was part of the regimen... which, the weightloss was most likely a direct result of the cut calories rather than the Chitosan.

The REAL use of Chitosan is: Help in rebuilding damaged or traumatized human tissues.

Alli:  A fat-blocker pill that when taken orally has been linked to helping people lose more weight than with diet and exercise alone. Great news right??  Gonna go out and buy some right now?

Think again!  Forbes just released an article reviewing a study performed by the National Institute for Health.    View it here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2012/12/10/popular-weight-loss-drug-may-cause-liver-failure/

In essence, Orlistat ( the active ingredient in Alli, approved in 1999 by the FDA) has been linked to failure of the major digestive/filtration organs of the body such as the liver and kidneys, I don't know about you, but I'd like to KEEP my liver and kidneys functioning at optimum capacity!

Ephedra:  A chemical derived thereof called Ephedrine is linked to modest weight loss for individuals who ingest a low cal low fat diet and exercise regularly.

WARNINGS from the FDA: Ephedra is "likely unsafe of Adults and Children"  It causes High Blood Pressure, heart attack, stroke, severe and disabling disorders in most individuals, siezures, irregular heart beat, and death.  Compare this to the list of side effects of the drug Ecstasy.  So, sure, you'll lose weight, but you might die doing it. ;)

There are a ton of other magic pills and treatments out there, but when it really comes down to it... the goal is to be healthy and fit, and that means your body is in proper working order.  You feed it what it needs, and you exercise it regularly.  Fit does not always equate to THIN.

I hope I have been able to shed some light on these drugs and dismantle the idea that there is a quick fix to any and all weight problems.  Hard work, exercise, and proper diet are the only SURE FIRE ways to be healthy... period.

1 comment: