Saturday, June 8, 2013

Making Time for What REALLY Matters to you

You know that magical $20 you can find when there is a DVD you REALLY want?  But 5 minutes before you found out it was on sale, you thought, MAN! I am BROKE!"  How about your busy day, and how you cannot possibly fit anything in, but you find time to watch CSI, or Dexter ( I love Dexter btw)?

Truth is, we're all guilty of wasting time and money on things that do not better our situation, or our lives.  We don't want to spend money or time on things like nutrition or exercise because we want our comforts, like dinner out, movie tickets, concerts, premium movie channels, the next iPhone etc...  In all honesty, life becomes that much more FUN and fulfilling when we take care of our bodies and minds instead of filling up that time with senseless things.  

Now, I may have lost a lot of you because you think I'm anti TV, anti Fun, anti dinner dates.. and that could not be further from the truth.  What I am, is someone who understands balance... and I understand it well.  I sacrificed some things that did not coincide with my goals.  I wanted to get fit. I wanted to be healthy.  I wanted to set a good example for my family.  I wanted to help others. I wanted to get a second income to offset the cost of daycare.  So, I took time to write down all the things I was doing in a day, and how I could rearrange my schedule to accomplish things that brought me closer to those goals.

I was a gamer.  Gaming has you sitting for hours in front of a computer, eating junk, and drinking junk.  Yes, the friendships are awesome, and I love my guildmates, but it did not flow with what I was trying to accomplish.  So, I axed gaming.

I would spend too much time watching television in the evening, when I could be spending time with my kids. So, I cut back on the tv.  We do homework together now during the week, and we play outside all day during the weekends (weather permitting).

There are a lot of other things I changed, and even some more recently, to ensure i was able to add Personal Development to my day. 

Grocery Shopping WHILE listening to Personal Development on my iPod


We MAKE TIME FOR WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO US.  Do not tell me you are too busy to workout for 30 minutes a day.  Because, I guarantee you could get up earlier, stay up later, or replace that tv show with some exercise.  This applies to money as well.  You could spend extra money on things like personal development, and instructional cds... you could buy and STICK TO a fitness program.  You could spend more time planning meals and eating more healthfully.  You could cook your meals instead of eating processed and pre-packaged junk.  

Harsh? Maybe... but it is TRUE!  We make time for things for which be assign value.  So, what is important to you?  Write it down.  What current activities do you do to keep you from accomplishing a goal pertaining to what you've deemed important?  Eliminate them or limit them.  You CAN do anything you set your mind to if you are willing to accept change, and do what needs to be done to reach those goals.  

Last, ask yourself this question... Am I where I want to be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment